Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Heart Felt Wreath


As I mentioned in last Friday's post, this weekend was a busy one! From wreath-making to headboard carpentry to bookcase restoring, my weekend was full of happy projects. This week, I'll pay an ode to these projects, one by one (you know, to keep you coming back for more).

One project I am particularly proud of is - but really, I'm proud of them all so it's like picking my favorite child - the Heart Wreath. With step-by-step instructions, this wreath was a cinch!

My first hang up was that the creator commented how long it took to cut out the felt circles. 'Surely they make a circle cutter that can go through fabric,' I thought, naively. Sure, they make one... in the form of a Cricut. As, I was not about to spend more than $200 just to cut circles out of fabric, I resorted to a more common tool - the rotary cutter. While I was picking up the styrofoam heart and the felt, I felt (ha, felt felt) that I could find something that would assist in my cutting needs. However, I apparently grabbed the runt of the rotary cutter litter, as it could probably only cut through the meekest of fabrics. It wasn't gonna cut it (see what I did there?). So I had to buck up and cut the circles by hand. Really, this task wasn't as ridiculous as I thought it was going to be. I made a template out of card stock and went after it. I could cut 4 circles out at the same time, so it really wasn't that big of a pain.

As I took each piece of fabric, folded it and pinned it in, the wreath began to get really full! All in all, it only took about an hour and a half to complete the whole project. Not bad to create something so cute! Yay Valentine's Day!

No comments: