Thursday, November 17, 2011

The difference between DOING and BEING, part deux

Woah, 2 posts in as many days. It's like I'm a blogger.

My post yesterday brought out a lot of comments from close friends. One that really struck a chord "I'm worried that if i go full time photo that I'll be super lazy ... I think that I've just been running like mad for so long that I'm not going to know what to do with extra time!" Like me, Ely has a side business that keeps her schedule packed to the gills. Weekends are for working, not for relaxing. Evenings are for doing. And more doing. And doing even more. An average at-home evening for me includes filling orders, increasing inventory, and, if I'm lucky, crossing a chore or two off of my list. However, my evenings at home are becoming more and more rare.


When I think about making my small business a full-time gig, it scares that bejesus out of me. Not only is it something that would require me to be financially savvy, it would seemingly give me oodles and oodles of time to do whatever I wanted. But you know what? That's a hell of a lot of pressure. Because I know me. I know that oodles and oodles of time means nothing to me. I know that I will fill those hours with more clubs, more stores, more products, more craft shows. Turning something you love doing into your one and only source of income takes some of the joy out of the process, I believe. And this circles back to my original post. At what point to I stop doing and starting being? Will there ever be that distinction for me?


For busy people, I say this: I think it's our nature. If we don't fill our time with what we do currently, then we will fill the time with some other time-intensive activity. If we don't go to that meeting for that club, then we go to the event for another club. 

* You can find Ely's photos here. She's incredible!

No comments: