Friday, November 18, 2011

The difference between DOING and BEING, numero tres


These posts have hit home with a few of you, it seems. I've never had so many people send emails or talk to me about my posts in person before! But, with the lives we are all living (and the busy bee mentality of the company I keep), it's absolutely no surprise that you all are feeling the pressure, too. My friend, Shawn, sent me a link to a blog that he read this morning. It provides a great framework for what I have been discussing over the past few days:

No, we don't take clients like that.
No, that's not part of what we offer.
No, that market is too hard for us to service properly.
No, I won't bend on this principle.
No, I'm sorry, I won't be able to have lunch with you.
No, that's not good enough. Will you please do it again?
No, I'm not willing to lose my focus, and no, I'm not willing to compromise.  - Seth Godin
Shawn sent his thoughts on the subject, too. Hope he's okay with me posting them :)
I think this gives us a framework to look at what we have going on in our lives and begin to find the areas that we say “no” so that we can form situations that we can start “being” instead of “doing.”
He's right. We all have areas in which we're okay with compromise and other areas we're not. What's important is that we look to find a balance within ourselves to be able to apply.
I also received a comment from one of my best friends, Joanna. She's a counselor, so I can believe what she says, right? 
"It's easier when you remember that in creating yourself, just like your home, there is no finished product. We are constantly changing and that's how it's meant to be. The process of improving ourselves is what makes life interesting." 

So I'm going to continue to align my ideals with how I live my life and hope for the best! If that means saying "no," please just don't take it personally.

No comments: