Thursday, December 1, 2011

There is something big happening in my brain

Someone mentioned to me today that I have a problem communicating what is on my mind. I believe she said, "I think there is something big happening in your brain, but when it comes out, it's... blah."

Oh man, was she correct! Of course, I offered up an explanation that my brain moves too quickly for my mouth to keep up. All joking aside, this is definitely something I've struggled with for years. I often say things that are blunt without even meaning for them to sound that way. Example:

As my friend was walking toward me, I noticed that she didn't look happy.

Me: Are you okay? You look mad.
Her: Geez. I was just thinking.

My hyper-sensitivity to people's emotions and facial expressions added to the fact that I cannot tactfully express my concern comes together in a fiery ball of crapola. Now, if you know me well, you know that I steer clear of country. However, the other day I overheard a Reba McEntire song that stated, "What you're not saying is coming in loud and clear." It's the reverse for me. What I AM saying is not coming in loud and clear. Rather, it may be loud, but it's never clear.

So, if you see me open my mouth, there is a good possibility that what comes spewing out is not meant to be rude or tacky. I have genuine concern for people.

No comments: